RE: medical misadventures

Just a general comment...

I am outside of the medical community with a background in operational

health physics from the military/research/power reactor side. It does

appear to me that the medical community does stretch it's people a little

too far. A nuclear med tech and a medical HP have enough to do taking care

of the patients much less trying to do the normal radcon associated with a

HP/RP tech or non-medical CHP.

To the casual observer, it looks like things would go a lot smoother if you

had people on staff who's primary responsibility was surveys/accountability

of RAM/RAM receipt and disposal/badging of personnel (i.e. all the

non-patient responsibilities associated with handling radioactive

material). I have always felt that this role was ideally suited for

non-medical radiation professionals...I guess I am missing something...more

than likely the final fiscal analysis shows that it is better to pay the

fines and take the heat from the regulatory folks rather than hire those

who could help minimize the grief.

I don't like appearing as a radcon mercenary, but I really love working in

this field and I most certainly would do this type of work a t a far lesser

salary than most medical folks would accept...I know a few roadie Senior

HP's that would too!

DJWhitfill

Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect official policies or

positions of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.