Radioactive camera parts

 Here is something I would like to put in your newsletter.  It's a 'Be on the lookout for..' and a 'What the heck is this?'

A load of scrap metal had been rejected at a local recycling company and we were called out to survey the dumpster and retrieve the offending article.  An hour later, after extensive dumpster-diving, we located a heavy rectangular piece of equipment  about 5 X 10 in. with a long telemetry cord.  After taking it to a Radioactive Material Storage area, we disassembled it slowly, surveying it as we went.  We found it was a film gate from an old high-speed film camera and the dose rate was coming from a small electronics box attached to the side.  Further  disassembly revealed the dose rate (about 5 millirem/hr) was coming from two metal brackets that were placed under two orange plastic diodes in the film gate.   Isotopic analysis revealed Ra-226.  There were no markings or labels of any kind.  It’s possible no markings or labels were required on articles  with radium at the time this camera was made.  This particular camera corporation received federal funding during World War II  and this camera was found in the dumpster of an Army contractor that films the firing of missiles.  We believe the radium was used either as a static eliminator or to make fiduciary marks on the film (or both).  Does anyone have any information or insight as to what the radium in this camera was used for?
Thanks,
Jean C. Moore