Fwd: Re: mcnp-forum: PuBe13 Physical Properties

Good afternoon--

This request from another list:

>>Hello all.  Does anyone have information on the density of the

>>plutonium-beryllium intermetallic PuBe13?

earned my quick reply:

>My experience has shown this to be difficult number to track down. One

>readily available reference I have [Stewart, L., "Neutron Spectrum and

>Absolute Yield of Plutonium-Beryllium Source," Phys Rev, 98, 740 (1955)]

>lists it as 3.7 g/cc.

>Be aware, however, that such neutron sources have varying density values

>resulting from production and a quoted value is probably for a specific

>source. Highlighting that variation, another reference [Nuclear

>Technology, 120, 19 (1997)] uses a value of 4.35 g/cc.

As such sources are periodically mentioned here (usually in terms of

spectra), I thought this might be of interest. In addition, I thought I'd

try to drum up additional references for my collection--and to forward to

the initial requester. Does any RADSAFER have a readily available density

value for the PuBe compound? If so, could you please forward it to me?

Thank you!

Regards,

Erik

Erik F. Shores