Blood Irradiation

ýDear RadSafers,ý

ýAllow me to start by first to express my deepest condolences to my follow

American radsafers back ýýhome about the terrible events ýýýýof the past

week.   I guess no ýýwords can describe what ýýwe all are feeling.  ýýWhat

really ýýsurprised me, yet gives me hope, is that most people here in

Lebanon, where I am currently ýýworking, are as horrified ýýof this

horrible crime as we are.ýý

ýI have three questions pertaining to blood irradiation that I hope you can

help me with.  First, what is ýýthe standard dose that you are using to

irradiate blood and blood components at your institution?  ýýSecond, the

FDA set a maximum dose of 50 Gray to blood and blood components, what is

the basis of ýýthis limit? And what is the difference in blood viability,

in any, for a dose of 40 Gray in comparison with 25 ýýGray (recommended

dose by FDA). Any refrences? ý

ýThank you in advance for your assistance.ý

ýSincerely,ý

ýMalek Chatilaý

ýAmerican University of Beirutý

ýe-mail: mc02@aub.edu.lbý