Re: HIGH-TECH SECURITY TOOLS GET A SECOND LOOK

Hi All,

At the first Dixy Lee Ray Memorial Conference, Joe Alvarez and I published a

paper that estimated the risk for which the uncertainties became so large

compared to the risk that the risk cannot be claimed to be different from zero

any longer.  At that time (1994) the estimate for the minimum significant risk

was about 0.02 - 0.05 or an exposure dose of about 0.5 to 1 Sv (50 - 100 rem).

This is published in:

    Seiler, F.A.; Alvarez, J.L. "The definition of a minimum significant

     risk."  Technology: Journal of the Franklin Institute, 331A: 83-95;

     1994.

More recently, I have estimated a minimum significant risk at exposure doses of

0.30 to 0.6 Sv (Not yet published).

Best regards,

Fritz

--

 " The American Republic will endure until the day Congress

 discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money."

                                       Alexis de Tocqueville

                                       Democracy in America

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.

Sigma Five Consulting