GM Counts to Rads/Rems/Roentgens?

Hi,

The layman is back with another basic question:

Is there an easy conversion between GM tube counts and the Three Rs in the

subject line?  I suspect it depends on the geometry (capture area) of the

tube, but I can't be sure.  I'm looking at pocket dosimeters, which seem to

be GM tubes coupled with microprocessor-based signal processing and display

hardware and firmware.

Those who don't feel like laypersons should be asking basic questions in

this forum, please delete this now.  I'm just trying to get a layperson's

handle on the various ways of measuring radiation, how the instrumentation

works, and get to the point where I can deal with an 'unforeseen' radiation

release, should one happen in my area.

Many thanks for the extremely helpful answers to my previous questions, and

many thanks in advance for any useful answers to this one!

--

William Smith    wpns@compusmiths.com    N1JBJ@amsat.org

ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com