Re: Microwaves/anthrax/physics

At 09:49 PM 10/20/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Microwaves heat by exciting water molecules specifically.

I believed this until I made the mistake of using it as an example in a

physics class I teach. To my surprise, I discovered it is not true. After

class, I searched the internet and found a site that agreed with my belated

discovery. As a practical observation, note that some plastics are heated

strongly by a microwave oven.

If anyone would like to review the calculations that show a microwave oven

is not specific for water molecules, let me know. Briefly, the calculation

uses E=hf, E=L^2/2I (where I is moment of inertia) and L^2=l(l+1)hbar^2

(where l is the angular momentum quantum number) (I and l may look the same

on your computer monitor; the first is upper-case i, the second is

lower-case L).

mike

Mike McNaughton

Los Alamos National Lab.