Re: DOE Watch

I cut this from a recent DOE watch post.  This paper presents a bit

different spin than most papers cited on Radsafe by Mr. Muckerheide and

Rockwell.

International Journal of Radiation Biology

Document Request Title: Effect of prolonged radiation exposure on the

thyroid gland of residents living in 60Co-contaminated rebar buildings

Author(s): Tien-Chun Chang; Wei-Li Chen; Wushou P. Chang; Chien-Jen Chen

Source: International Journal of Radiation Biology      Volume: 77 Number:

11 Page: 1117 -- 1122

DOI: 10.1080/09553000110073420

Publisher: Taylor and Francis Ltd

Abstract:

Purpose: To evaluate prolonged low dose-rate-exposure effects on the

thyroid glands of residents living in 60Co-contaminated steel buildings.

Materials and methods: Physical examination and ultrasonography of the

thyroid, determination of thyroid function and anti-thyroid microsomal

antibodies were performed for 1346 residents. Ultrasound-guided aspiration

cytology was done for thyroid nodules. The study subjects were stratified by

age at examination (=15 and >15 years), sex and exposure dose to the body.

Dose- response data on the prevalence of various thyroid diseases were

analysed by the multiple logistic regression analysis.

Results and conclusions: The prevalence of simple goitre was related to the

exposure with a dose-response relationship for males of all ages, and for

females of =15 years. There was a biological gradient of thyroid cyst

prevalence with the increase in exposure dose for females of all ages. The

prevalence of elevated serum tri-iodothyronine level showed a dose-response

relationship for males of =15 years. A significant increase in thyroid

abnormalities with dose was observed for males of all ages, and for females

of =15 years.

Reference Links: 21