Re: Mass Loading values for Children at Playgrounds

In a message dated 10/02/2001 3:08:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jweldy@cnwra.swri.edu writes:

I am performing a dose assessment which involves a scenario in which the
dirt on the ground at a playground is contaminated. I am looking for a
reference to support a value for the concentration of dust in the air that a
child playing at the playground is exposed. I have not been able to find
anything in my searches to this point. If anyone could point me to an
appropriate reference for this value, I would appreciate it greatly.

You may want to contact:

Melissa Friedland
Office of Emergency and Remedial Response
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
(703) 603-8864

regarding the Luminous Processors site in Athens, GA, which was a former radium processing site turned into a McDonalds, with an outdoor children's playground.

See:  http://www.epa.gov/superfund/programs/recycle/casestud/lumincsi.htm

I'd love to hear a detailed account of the dose/risk assessment they performed with respect to this site.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com