RE: Package Irradiation

Jack, Bjorn, and other,

A couple of comments.

The data I have seen from food irradiation has involved irradiation of meat

have focused on bacteria and some endospores.  Generally, the spores require

doses 10 times those for dormant bacteria, 90% kill for Bacillus cereus

endospore is 2.46 kGy at 5 degrees C.  Again, that is only 90%.  I have not

seen any inactivation data for anthrax, which is what we are all talking

about.  It may be significantly higher is the spores are very small.  The

current limits, are 30 kGy from spices and dried vegetables, 10 kGy for dry

of dehydrated enzymes, 1 kGy to control insects in food, 3 kGy for

microorganisms in poultry, 4.5 kGy for fresh meat, and 7 kGy for frozen

meat.

Second, things like photographic film and dosimeters are routinely sent

through the mail.  Obviously, if you are going to irradiate the U.S. mail,

all other carriers will have to follow suit.

Regarding the economic cost,  consider that the U.S. Postal Service

delivered 1.98 billion pieces of mail in 1998.  (From my own experience,

real mail was only a fraction of that number.)  Daily deliveries are greater

than the yearly delivery in many countries.

To put risk in perspective, one person has died from anthrax.  Each DAY in

the U.S., 113 die in auto accident, 45 due in falls, 23 die from poisons, 11

die from drowning, 10 die in fires,  8 die from ingestion of food or other

objects, 3 from firearms, and 2 from poison gases.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane