Re: portable gamma spec use

In a message dated 11/1/2001 1:03:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, dpharrison@AEP.COM writes:

Question: Are you using portable gamma specs?  And if so, what are the
applications of use?  Please list the station you're located.

David Harrison
dpharrison@aep.com

I used one recently to identify natural radioactivity from gravel in a gondola car.  The car had alarmed the radiation monitor at a scrap metal plant.

I used one a while back to verify that shipping containers were not "radioactive" for shipping purposes.  This involved prior calculations using plant activities.

I used one earlier to determine thorium concentrations in soil for a decommissioning program.  The measurements were taken in the soil by burying the detector in the soil.

I used one a while back to identify contamination in a drain pipe.

I used one very long ago to verify that an incinerator lined with firebrick was not significantly contaminated with uranium-235.

I used one recently to determine the nuclides present in concrete near the reactor vessel.  Some areas were Cs-137, others were Co-60.

I used one a few years ago to identify I-131 in a crushed package in a rolloff container.

I used one a few years ago to identify a strange nuclide in a package.  I forget what it was now, but it was medium half-life medical waste and was leaking.

I was not allowed to use one for a DOE contract and as a result we remediated a lot of soil contaminated with radon but not radium. I believe they really wanted to spend the money! Such a waste.

These come to mind.  Every plant should have one or two.  Both should be alike. There are some new ones out there now that look nice.  Consider how you will analyze the data because that is the hard part.

John Andrews
Knoxville, Tennessee