Re: Spectral Analysis

Daren,

My first question is: was the spectrum taken at a distance far enough to

avoid saturating the detector? Probably a few feet minimum to get a valid

spectrum.

What does the source look like?

Is it a sealed source?

Are there any identifying marks or numbers on it? You can use optics to do

this from a distance.

Is the field isotropic? Or is there one direction with a higher reading

(which would indicate a window for a beta source).

One type of source that comes to mind is a Kr-85m beta source used in

industrial gauges.

If your intensity measurements are correct and not from flooding the

instrument, then it is too small to be a radiography source.

Neutron sources for moisture measuring instruments should have a gamma or

x-ray component.

All in all, more information is needed to make a better guess at what this

source contains.

Michael Kay, ScD, CHMM

Licensed Health Physics Consultant

State of Oregon