Re: NRC website and work usage.

Mr. Ford --

I think your response below was excessively sarcastic considering Mr.

Clayton's statement. Mr. Clayton was, in effect, complimenting the NRC by

saying how much use its Web site was to him in his work, even as he was

saying that the NRC took it offline for ill-considered reasons. I inferred

that he thought that the advantages of taking the site offline were far

outweighed by the disadvantages. If you disagreed, why not argue the merits

of that instead of resorting to an ad hominem attack?

I know he said that "the USC got it exactly right", but he followed that

immediately by saying that the NRC's taking the Web site down was

ill-considered. I didn't take that to mean that he agreed with the USC about

the NRC's motive being to exclude public input, but rather that he agreed

that the NRC folks didn't think before they acted so hastily. Why would you

contend that he and the USC are "chums" just because they happened to agree

on one small point? The name for that type of rhetorical device escapes me

at the moment, but it is a recognized technique used to fling mud and

obscure the real issue.

I wish we could be more civil on RadSafe. It's one thing to wax passionate

about one's positions, but quite another to smear for the sheer exhilaration

of smearing. I for one think that whiffs of passion enhance discourse, and

as people who know me well can tell you, I believe in the effectiveness of

sarcasm as a tool to point out folly, wishful thinking, and ridiculous

assumptions. But emphasis is like perfume: use too much and people will

avoid you. Some may even start wheezing because of you and then the control

freaks will ban the stuff altogether. An expressive person like you would

surely not welcome a result like that.

Janet Westbrook