Re: persistence of anti-nuclear activism

Once the government decides that nuclear power generation is vital to the

stability and security  of this country, it won't matter what anti-nukes

think (however right or wrong that may be). I would challenge anyone to

come up with a plan that secures our energy future without having nuclear

power as part of the mix. As I have said before, we are going to need every

tool in that energy tool box to meet our future energy needs.

We can't go jumping into the sci-fi just yet...even if we did crack the

fusion nut and were able to build a generation facility,  a standard

fission plant would probably still be in the mix as well. This particular

discussion came up in one of my past NE classes. The class considered the

incredible amounts of power required to startup a fusion plant. A very

reliable source of power is required to handle not only the startup loads,

but also the hotel loads associated with normal operation.

The only practical option for providing this power was either a very

reliable power grid, or a secondary generation facility that would provide

power for startup. This sister facility would more than likely be a small

advance design fission plant. This fission/fusion hybrid seemed at the time

to be a practical solution. It was very interesting discussing this and I

thought that the class made a good attempt at trying to separate the

practical from the science fiction.

But the fact of the matter is that we don't have the knowledge to crack the

fusion nut yet, and it will still take a very long time to go from a

satisfactory laboratory demonstration to a full-fledged power generation

unit. We don't have that kind of time...

My opinions only.

DJWhitfill

                    NeilKeeney@AOL.COM

                    Sent by:                      To:     mcaceci@radal.com, radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand       cc:

                    erbilt.edu                    Subject:     Re: persistence of anti-nuclear activism

                    11/07/01 08:27 AM

                    Please respond to

                    NeilKeeney

In a message dated 11/6/01 3:37:17 PM Central Standard Time,

mcaceci@radal.com writes:

<< In my opinion, it is irrelevant here to comment the latest idiocy from

the

 latest anti-nuclear activist  (they are the illiberal ones, to be sure, by

 the way). Let us ask ourselves instead: who is really against nuclear

 energy - and what reasons move the media - and why? >>

Well put and on target of course.  Much as the news anchors are merely the

"smiling heads" of the news telecast, those taking an organized position

against commercial nuclear power could be considered to be simply the

"concerned" individuals or groups   representing a group that could stand

lose should nuclear power prosper as an energy source.  The sad thing is

that

many "concerned" individuals aren't even aware they're being duped or

they're

being specifically targeted because their's is a "reactive platform" for

issuing false data.

I recall working with graduate students in 1979 at the U of MD on an effort

to transfer a gene from Blue-Green Algae to a corn embryo. We were

attempting

to isolate and transfer the gene that selects for fixing free nitrogen from

the atmosphere from the algae to the corn embryo.  Can you imagine the

ramifications of succeeding?  Potentially a corn plant that would thrive

like

a weed given a substrate and - water.

Following the sequence from there it is a short step to abundant alcohol

for

clean fuel and reduced mechanical wear of internal combustion components,

abundant food for third world countries, abundant animal feed... The list

goes on and on... There would be other problems to overcome of course.

Parasitism and diseases and so forth.

Now.  There is absolutely no question in my mind that this is not now

technically possible.  If we can grow a fifteen pound salmon in one year

when

it's wild siblings grow two, we could probably now transfer the gene that

selects for the free nitrogen trait.

So the answer to your question is the same as the answer to why we don't

have

a pesty corn weed taking over the planet now.  It would sort of turn

civilization as we know it on it's head.  Abundant fuel, abundant food...

What leverage could governments use on so-called third world countries that

suddenly don't need "economic assistance"?  What would Wall Street do

without

fossil fuel futures? How would politicians get elected without PAC money

from

fossil? What would the auto parts industry do in the absence of current

obsolescence schedules?  Just how cheap would a barrel of oil go for?  And

gee.  Why would we need to interact with OPEC?

We so-called civilized beings spend the bulk of our time trying to survive

by

driving or riding great distances to a job that we work to pay for the

production of goods and services that have their prices established by

their

production and profit margin costs.  What if that cost were reduced by 80

percent due to reduced energy costs?

Jeez.  We'd be that much freer to CREATE along other survival routes for

mankind and wouldn't that be something?

Neil Keeney

RRPT