RE: [Fwd: [OEM] [OEM!] US Bill: Mandatory KI Stockpiling]

I have heard some discussion in past years on distributing KI elsewhere, but don't remember details.

I believe I read about a similar program where KI was distributed and people in the public sector immediately ingested the alotment of KI as they were frightened of a potential future event.

The evaluation of the program needs to consider the following (which I believe some of this group can answer):

1.  What is the risk of adverse affects from ingestion of KI?  Is there an electrolyte effect from K?  What happens when children have too much K?

2.  What education process will prevent people from misusing KI?

3.  What is the shelf life of KI?

4.  What distribution process would ensure that the stockpiles are up to date including as persons move within the 50 mi radius?

5.  What are the risks of NOT taking KI?

6.  What is the cost of this ongoing program?

Doesn't Iodine also tend to chemically bond very well with Cesium which

mitigates offsite Iodine releases?  And yes, that there iodized salt keeps

most thyroids pretty saturated one would think.

Chris A. Marthaller, RRPT

Sr. Training Coordinator, WIPP

(505) 234-8661

Chris.Marthaller@wipp.ws

I alone am to blame for my statements.

"If we keep doing what we are doing, we will keep getting what we are

getting." ANON

2. US plants are a wet design which mitigates very

well the accidental release of I-131.

4. People living in the USA have diets much richer in

iodine and thus are not as susceptible to the same

consequnces.

Tim

http://www.house.gov/markey/iss_terrorism_pr011114.htm