Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: Norm's final words on dead fish

Floyd Flanigan wrote

>As to the legionaire's issue:The desease got it's name from an American Legion Post down wind from a cooling tower which bred the bacteria which causes the desease.Several of those whom frequented the post contracted the desease and died , hence the name.<

I don't believe that is correct.  As I recall, the disease (a respiratory infection like flu) struck a number of American Legion members who were staying in a hotel in Philadellphia at a Legion convention.  The cause was mold and bacteria in a ventilating/air conditioning system that hadn't been cleaned for a very long time.  As I recall, it had nothing whatever to do with cooling towers.  The effluent from a cooling tower, even if it were loaded with bacteria, would be so dispersed by the time it reached any concentration of people that it would be unlikely to cause any disease.

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com