Re: dave's answer to one of your questions

In a message dated 11/19/01 5:22:05 PM Mountain Standard Time, ncohen12@HOME.COM writes:

Dave Lochbaum wrote:

> Hello Norm:
>
> The NRC's report from October 2000 documented that a spent fuel pool with a partial water draindown can lead to a
> spent fuel fire.

I believe we were discussing transportation of spent fuel.  Spent fuel is not transported in pools.   Lochbaum's answer is beside the point and not responsive to the question.   He is apparently discussing drainage from STATIONARY spent fuel pools at a reactor.  I asked

1.  Why do you call SNF transportation "mobile chernobyl"?
2.  What, in your opinion, is wrong with 10 CFR Part 72 Subpart E (the cask testing regulation)?

However, as long as Lochbaum mentioned it, the melting point of zirconium metal is 1850 deg C. (3370 deg. F).  Hawley's Chemical Dictionary, 12 th ed., does not give a flash point.  Zirconium dust or powder is flammable, but I would like a more expert opinion as to whether the clad would ignite spontaneously in Locjbaum's scenario.  I suspect a PWR spent fuel rod would fail from burst rupture first, but then, I am not a nuclear engineer.

I'm sure there are nuclear engineers on this list who can speak to this scenario far better than I can .
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com