Re: "The eyes of the beholder" / ICRP, quality factors etc

From: "Jerry Cohen" <jjcohen@prodigy.net>

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 10:37:26 -0800

 > The transparency of the ICRP work provides a valuable opportunity to

suggest constructive improvements & changes without propagandistic

overtunes.

---

People I trust provide information

People I don't trust provide propaganda

---

I agree with these comments as a more general thing but I am not sure how to

interpret them in this particular context - if you are referring to the

people providing ICRP with input or the ICRP itself. When I wrote about

"propagandistic overtunes" I referred to the input.

Regardless of which, it is important to notice that we can influence the

ICRP in a way that has not been possible before. That chance should not be

missed. Remember also that ICRP is a dynamic system for radiation protection

- there is a historical context that to a large extent can be undestood but

now has reached a stage of complexity and need for revision - and thus there

is a future.

This is a good thing because ICRP will now take more of radiation physics

and biology into account (track structures, critical targets etc). Without

that we will never get a consistent picture.

Remember that "information" is about the data we have which includes studies

of single ionizing "particles" passing through cell nuclei etc.

My personal reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com