Re: "The eyes of the beholder" / ICRP, quality factors etc

>The majority of those employed in the field of radiation safety work on

ALARA and/or other policies intended to reduce low-level exposures to yet

lower levels. Positions established by ICRP, NCRP, etc. have provided the

primary impetus in supporting such policies. I wonder about the extent to

which these positions are motivated by a desire to protect public health vs.

the advancement of  self-interests.

---------

I have met half a dozen of ICRP members (before the meeting on Nov. 12) -

two of these I have listened to at various occasions since around 1975 and

another one of them since 1986. I am convinced that they always had sincere

intentions in mind - and above self. They all know that smoking and various

food stuffs carry most of the carcinogens that we get.

I agree on the point that it has been about "yet lower levels" and

personally I am quite convinced that we have pushed some of this too far and

made it too complex. The present ICRP people have probably also realized

this as well as the built-in problem "communicating radiation". Thus a

revision - even the ALARA concept is looked at. The purpose is to create a

better ICRP system - not with less overall safety.

When I wrote the few paragraphs about the ongoing revision a day ago - it

was to make you aware of that there are important things happening -

probably the largest change with the ICRP since it all began. The best the

radiation professionals can do is to participate in the process (for

instance through societies like the HPS and RRS) rather than just attacking.

What has come up over the past 20 years or so that now is being included in

the ICRP work is consideration of more radiobiological data (cellular level)

- data that were possible to gather because we now have better tools for

molecular biology work. As an example, we can now study point mutations on

an epidemiological level. This was not possible 20 years ago.

I have written at three earlier occasions here on Radsafers that a theory

for radiation risks must be constistent with epidemiological as well as cell

& molecular biology data. With one exception (a Radsafer who wrote me

directly) there has not been any response on this. We roughly have a few

groups of professionals who attend different meetings, read different

journals and have different reference frames within the field of

"radiation".

There are partial overlaps but many of these groups probably don't see so

much of the others - here is an attempt to characterize these groups by what

they read and/or their societies - there must also be differences in details

(cultural, socioeconomic, technical) depending on which country of what part

of the world we look at:

1. Health Physics, Dosimetry journals, Nuclear technology journals, ENS, ANS

etc.

2. Radiation Research, Int. J. Radiation Biology, Environmental Radiation

Biophysics. Many of these people read Nucleic Acids Research, PNAS, Mutation

Research, Carcinogenesis, Chemico-Biological Interactions, Cancer Research,

Cell, Chromosoma and similar journals.

3. Clinical radiation biology and physics (like "the red journal" and

Medical Physics journal). Some of these people are clinicians, others have a

physics background. The clinicians may read Cancer Research, Eur. J. of

Cancer etc. Some of the radiation physics people, but very few clinicians,

read Radiation Research, IJRB etc. By necessity the clinical context

(diagnostics and therapy) often includes a dialogue between the patient and

the doctor. The "optimization", palliation or other aspects are made on an

individual basis whereas epidemiology or molecular mechanisms most often are

side topics.

4. Am J. Epidemiology, Cancer Causes and Control etc (I have no idea about

what their matching conferences are - but I occasionally get their journals

in my hand). Sometimes epidemiological papers occur in journals like

Radiation Research or HPJ.

Categories 2 and 3 above (and to some extent 4 as well) include description

of tumor progression - a phenomenon that can be seen with epidemiological

eyes, clincal eyes or those of cell & molecular biology.

I spend about 60 % on my "radiation time" on category 2 above, 30 % on

number 1 and the rest on categories 3 and 4 put together. Each one in the

"radiation field" probably has a different profile.

Each of the groups above will see the radiation world from a different

perspective. Only one theory for cancer risks can be correct.

My personal reflections only.

OK - must rush to work,

Bjorn cedervall     bcradsafers@hotmail.com