Uranium Analysis by Gamma Spectroscopy

I have a question that I hope someone on RadSafe may have some experience

with.

For the past three years we have been analyzing uranium processing waste by

gamma spectroscopy.  By optimizing the gamma system for the low-energy

gammas emitted by uranium we have been able to produce reliable results that

are comparable to results obtained by mass spectrometry.  Our success has

produced requests for more analysis and faster turnaround times (of course).

One option I am looking at is to move some of our operations out of the

laboratory and into the field.  HPGe detectors are not well suited for

continuous use in the field - the need for liquid nitrogen, lack of a stable

ambient temperature and background fluctuations are a few of the problems.

NaI detectors are much more rugged, but lack the resolution needed for

accurate isotopic measurement, especially in the presence of relatively high

levels of radium, thorium and other daughters.

Here is my question:  Does anyone have any operational experience with

cadmium/zinc/telluride (CZT) detectors?  The literature that I have been

able to find shows that CZT  detectors have a high efficiency for low energy

gammas, do not require liquid nitrogen for cooling, and have a wide ambient

temperature operating band.  This all looks good on paper, but when it comes

to equipment, nothing compares to actual experience.  Any comments will be

appreciated.

Doug Taylor

Laboratory Manager

International Technologies Corp.