Re: the strange world of Swedish energy & politics

>Could this be an indication that people are finally coming around to their

>senses ?

Jaro

NUCLEONICS WEEK - November 22, 2001

VATTENFALL APPROVES INVESTMENT AIMED AT 40-YEAR REACTOR LIVES

Vattenfall's board has decided to go ahead with a 1.5-billion-kronor

(U.S.$150-million) investment program at

<snip>

----------------

This is partly political logic - and also according to the will of the

majority in Sweden (I wouldn't be surprised if a change of government even

could result in a startup of Barseback 1 again but I doubt that the present

government wouldn't whisper about that).

The signals sent over the past years seem to say (Government logic):

1. "Look we tried to phase out nuclear power as we promised - but we weren't

able to"

2. Thoughts (not said too loudly): "We actually want to keep nuclear power

and realize that we can't phase it out immediately but we can't say that".

In other words:

"We are against nuclear power (please vote for us if you are against nuclear

power), and we are for nuclear power (because we didn't shut down all of it

- so please vote for us if you are in favor of nuclear power)."

"We want it better for all people..."

Back to the reality - and Vattenfall: Few Swedes probably believe today that

nuclear power will be phased out totally within say 15 years. There is a

possibility however that about 4-5 reactors will be shut down before say

2020 because of old age. What will come instead is a separate question - a

few politicians have begun to say that we should plan for new NPPs but there

are other possibilities like much more of natural gas. I can also mention

that Vattenfall's profits increased strongly for the nine-month report as

compared with one year ago:

http://www.vattenfall.com/files/2001_9_int.pdf

Well, most of this reflects my personal opinion about politics,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com