Von: mark.hogue@SRS.GOV <mark.hogue@SRS.GOV>

An: Tony Harrison <Tony.Harrison@state.co.us>

Cc: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>;

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Donnerstag, 15. November 2001 16:33

Betreff: Re: Water monitoring

>While contaminating a water supply would be a viable threat, I think that

>using radioactive material for this purpose would be relatively

>ineffective. If the goal is to alert the populace when a really low level

>of contamination is present, such as at the EPA drinking water standard

>levels, you won't find anything "inexpensive, easy to use and

>readily available."

Taking up the hypothetical threat of contaminating a drinking water supply

with radioactive material: The most effective way to receive doses might be

for a lot of indivuduals to stay at home and drink water from their wells.

Ra-226 is by far more radiotoxic than Pu-239 and fission products.....

For more information please contact me privately.

Franz