more on jet engine penetration - Scott Portzline

To those of you, including Jaro, who were discussing jet engine penetration of

containment:

"Scott D. Portzline" wrote:

> Norm,

> Sorry it took so long to address this issue due to other priorities. The

> point of airline crashes into nuclear plants is already proven by Argonne

> National Laboratory in 1982 which virtually equated penetration by larger

> jets with direct release of radiation.

> The reason for showing that the block moved (as designed for the test) is

> that containment buildings are quite inelastic. At severe loads, the

> concrete and steel fail and penetration occurs. Reactor building domes are

> most vulnerable. The 4% difference Jaro mentions is virtually meaningless as

> he states for smaller loads. But, that difference for a jumbo jet is

> enourmous for destructive force.

> Anti-nuclear folks may find it ironic that jet engines (hardened with

> thorium) are the most solid part of the airliner and are likely to penetrate

> a containment building fairly intact (in mass) and potentially striking

> reactor systems.

> Additionally, there is a troubling unanalyzed condition at nuclear plants

> concerning elasticity and truck bombs. The explosive shock wave propagated

> through the ground will cause lateral accelerations which far exceed the

> peak magnitude of an earthquake. This can occur from a bomb hundreds of feet

> away and even 1/4 mile. This could cause pipe breakage - LOCA, fire from oil

> line break, short circuiting from water jets etc. etc.. I brought this up at

> a roundtable discussion this week. The NRC offered no response.

> Furthermore, the shock wave through the air from a truck bomb can be

> reflected from walls of adjacent buildings (nuclear plants have many large

> walls where tons of force can be reflected) and can combine with other waves

> for devastating results. These reflected waves has never been analyzed for

> each plant that I'm aware of. Therefore, a small bomb can have greater power

> than indicated by simple calculations which have not accounted for the

> reflective waves.

> The military wants 400 foot setback distances from its assets. Nuclear

> plants may actually require more if the ground shock lateral accelerations

> were ever to be factored.

> Scott Portzline

> (please forward this to the appropriate discussion)

> Marvin Resnikoff  wrote on Monday November 05, 2001 7:18 PM :

> <SNIP>

> Our calculations for concrete penetration do not assume the structure moves.

> As must be clear to you, one cannot infer from the Sandia test that a 767

> engine moving 500 mph will penetrate 6 cm of concrete.  If the building or

> storage cask were stationary, the penetration depth of the 767 jet engine is

> closer to 4 feet, and several U.S. reactors have a thinner concrete

> containment.  Our method of calculating the penetration depth is identical

> to the method used by NRC staff and DOE contractors.

> Marvin Resnikoff

> END QUOTE>

> [...]

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,

Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);

ncohen12@home.com  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION

FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:  http:/www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The

Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

"First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you; Then you

win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin Carpenter)