3 day glitch in November archives

Dear Radsafers -

During November, specifically between Nov 12 and 15, there was a period of

time during which I did not receive my own copies of the Radsafe messages,

for reasons that were never explained to me. I noticed that I wasn't getting

any mail, but let it go for a day or two, thinking perhaps they were just

stuck on the server. I was still s*bscribed during this time, but for some

reason the messages weren't coming through. Then I called in, and someone

said they would look into it, the messages started coming again, but I never

heard what the problem was. So about 3 days of messages (about 63 total)

were lost to me in that period. Fortunately, I had my digest copies ("I keep

mah feathus numbahed for just such an emergency"), so I used these to

regenerate the lost messages in the archive, just sending the text of the

messages to myself. In doing so, the archives have lost the sender ID (at

least as appears on the archive page - if you open the message, the sender's

ID is given at the top of the message), and the date order (as I sent all of

these back to myself at the end of the month). So, the essential data are

still in there, if you search, but the thread order and apparent sender

might be a bit confusing. Sorry 'bout that. Low budget operation, ya gets

what ya pays for.

BTW, a little info on how the archives are maintained. I try to get them

created as soon after the end of the month as possible (if I am out of town

there will be a delay). New archive pages are viewable immediately after I

create them, BUT the search engine only updates its database on weekends, so

you can't search them until *after the first weekend that I create them*. In

this particular case (Nov 2001), I just put them up on Sunday, so it will

probably be a week from Monday (Dec 10) until they are searchable.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 322-3190