Nukes in Space...

I try to resist answering, but this is too ridiculous...

Norm Cohan writes - - -

I'm Ok with nuclear powered space craft as long as they are

launched in such a way (like from the space station) that there

is no chance of their falling back to earth.

End quote - - -

And exactly how does the plutonium fuel get to the space station

in the first place? By rocket.

Norm Cohen writes later in the same posting - -

 I suggested waiting until we had the techology necessary to

safely rocket the waste into the sun via an equator elevator

system which would lift the waste into orbit, and then oone

could send it into the sun. (picked this idea up from an article

years ago in Analog magazine).

End quote - - -

I read that SCIENCE FICTION story at the time and the author

explained how it was impossible _even in theory_ to build

anything like that. As long as you draw your science from Analog

magazine, you must expect some ridicule.

Besides, why is the magical elevator safer than rockets? The

point of the story was that it was cheaper.

Sending nuclear waste to the sun is an absurd idea for many,

many reasons that I won't go into; unless someone wants to start

a thread on it.

Now, back to starving the stray dog and hoping he goes

elsewhere.

Stephen Frantz

sfrantz@yahoo.com

http://shopping.yahoo.com