Franz Schoenhofer's question regarding air filters

This is another great example of read the question and answer the question. Although I found the dialog interesting, no one answered the question.

"Do you know of any literature, which scientifically deals with the question
of radon daughter removals by commercial air filters and especially dose
rates to be expected near the filters and during changing the filters and
possibly inhaling dust?"

Ed Barratta came closest by stating an EPA document once existed. But everyone else started with assumptions of the capture of the Radon decay products and went from there.

I personally know of no documentation that has studied the dose rates and contamination monitored on "Commercial Air filters". I would like to know if the "commercial air filter" considered is the over-the-counter type that is sold in bulk vs. a HEPA filter. That being the wide difference in filtering capability. I have not seen a note in commercial air filter literature that states its particle size removal capability. This would greatly influence removal rates.

I do know that in my lab we have a normal over the counter air filter (3M blue fuzzy- with a cardboard frame) and a HEPA filter in-line in the exhaust air stream. These filters are routinely monitored for dose and contamination levels. My lab performs environmental analysis of soil, water, bioassay, and air filter samples containing natural uranium and thorium together with their decay products.

The filters in the lab ventilation are surveyed quarterly with the pre-filters replaced semi-annually. Yes, there are decay products accumulated in the filter. The filters show levels of contamination, but NO dose rate problems. The rad levels are routinely less than 25 uR/hr. The filters are maintained for two weeks and surveyed again. At the two week mark, the filter is below release levels for contamination and disposed of as normal trash.
If someone else knows of documentation that supports or disputes this, I would be interested in seeing it.

Dan Mackney
Technical Director for Radiochemistry
Waste Stream Technology
Buffalo, NY