Re: British public say NO to new nukes

A poll taken in 1971 showed that 75% of Americans were opposed to establishment of a nation-wide 55 mph speed limit.  A few years ago, when the speed limits were raised and made a state decision, about 40% of the people polled were opposed to raising the speed limit.

I wonder if rural electrification would have survived a poll in 1930.  I know that school desegregation wasn't popular, and had to be decided by the Supreme Court.   The right thing to do is not always the most popular.  Moreover, a great deal depends on what the poll-taker's actual question is.

I am reminded of a story I was told by a rather well-known risk communications expert who asked a focus group if they would consider living within a 30-mile radius of a nuclear plant.  Their "no" was unanimous.  Then he told them that two of them actually lived within five miles of a nuke (how could they have missed it?).  In spite of their opposition, they weren't thinking of moving.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com