Co-60 capsules available

Dear Radsafe list members:

	I am in charge of the Hawaii Research Irradiator which contains 100

National Brookhaven Co-60 capsules.  The irradiator was built for us by AEC

in early 1965, and the Co-60 capsules were made probably two years before

that.  The total activities of all the capsules combined as of Dec. 1, 2001

were about 1,730 Ci.  We have decided to decommission the facility within

the next 10 months.

	If anyone is interested in taking the source, please let me know, and we

can begin a discussion.  We envision no charge for the source, but the

'recipient' should be willing to rent a shipping cask to load the capsules

to your destination.  We plan to select a contractor through bidding to

dismantle the removable steel framework and the two source holders (50

capsules stacked in each holder).  The capsules are on the bottom of a

12-ft deionized water pool all the time.  Part of the contractor's job will

be to place the capsules into the shipping cask for shipment. Of course you

are welcome to come to help supervise the transfer.  A sourse holder that

can take all 100 flat capsules should come with the shipping cask.

	James H. Moy, Ph.D.

	Professor, Mol. Biosci. & Bioengineering, and

	Supervisor, Hawaii Research Irradiator

	University of Hawaii

	Tel. 808-956-3853;  Fax. 808-956-8663; e-mail <jmoy@hawaii.edu>