Radiation history: Old picture

Dear Radsafers,

I scanned a photocopy of a picture of X-rays in the "old days":

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/Radtopics/accid_hist.html

The book from which I photocopied this picture (in the seventies...) has

probably been thrown away (the whole radiobiology library at the Univ. of

Stockholm was scrapped a few years ago) - the corresponding dept. has

another orientation today...

I wonder if anyone could point at the exact source (Brown 1936 - probably an

indirect reference) - and perhaps even better - help me with a better

picture - for the benefit of all interested Radsafers.

The practice of holding the hand between the X-ray tube and a fluorescent

screen to see the bones probably caused a lot of early severe burns and

tragedies (see the book by Grubbe from the mid 1940:ies if you can find it -

horrible reading - he had 83 operations of his fingers, had no lips so he

would speak in public because few people could understand him and so on). By

that time (before say 1910) it took perhaps more than ten minutes to warm up

such a tube...

Please comment or correct whatever if you can give more details for the

context. Any other "old pix" are also of interest - I can always ask the

publisher for a permission to post them and then again they could be

available for interested Radsafers.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com