Re: Risks of low level radiation - New Scientist Article

Hello,

Other than hormesis, Dr. Cohen's data could suggest a threshold, or that

the LNT model does not accurately describe lung cancer risks to residential

levels of radon. Most, if not all, radon case-control studies that exclude

smokers have been negative. Most radon studies that include smokers have

variations that could be observed comparing two control populations.

According to the SEER Report (National Institutes of Health, 1973-1991),

the variation in lung cancer mortality between U.S. States is 3.0. KY had

the highest lung cancer mortality with 65.5/100,000 and UT had the lowest

with 21.9/100,000.  Since these are ecology data, does that mean they are

useless? I think not.

Tom

--

Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP

University Radiation Safety Officer

104 Health Sciences Bldg

Wright State University

Dayton, Ohio 45435

tom.mohaupt@wright.edu

(937) 775-2169

(937) 775-3761 (fax)

"An investment in knowledge gains the best interest." Ben Franklin