Re: Fossil fuel and genetic defects

At 01:28 AM 12/18/01 -0500, Muckerheide wrote:

>FYI, from Gene Cramer.

>Regards, Jim

>===========

>Orange County REGISTER December 17, 2001

>UCLA research links air pollution and birth defects

>LOS ANGELES -- For years, scientists have known of a correlation between air

>quality and infant illnesses. Now, for the first time, a Southern California

>study links air pollution and birth defects.

>The University of California, Los Angeles, study shows that the harmful

>effects of dirty air can extend even into the womb, the Los Angeles Times

>said Sunday.

>"Smog can harm the health of babies," said Beate Ritz, an epidemiologist at

>UCLA's Center for Occupational and Environmental Health who conducted the

>study.

December 18, 2001

This is the same Beate Ritz, M.D. Ph.D., who, as a graduate student, was

study coordinator of the atrocious "Rocketdyne Study" in 1997 that claimed

to show that tiny amounts of radiation exposure caused cancer in workers.

That flawed study involved selective organization of weak data and dozens

of statistical tests conducted as a fishing expedition in a search for

statistically significant findings. Outlandish claims were made based

primarily on four cancer cases among 875 deaths that were in the study.

I wonder if the same statistical methodology was used in this air pollution

study.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140