DHMO

I recall an op-editorial on the hazards of DHMO (dihydrogen monoxide) where it was pointed out that overexposure to DHMO caused over 5000 deaths in the previous year. A lung dose of one liter is lethal! Accordingly, it was estimated that a low-dose as small as one milliliter could carry a 1/1000 probability of death (LNT?). Despite its obvious hazard, DHMO has found widespread industrial use as a solvent, coolant, and in many other applications etc. etc.....
The response to the article was somewhat dismaying. Rather than seeing any humor in it, some readers expressed alarm and wanted further information. Is there any wonder why the Lochbaums of the world have been so successful.
BTW, I think the shelf life of dehydrated water might be extended if it were freeze dried. Of, course, it could
also be irradiated, but that would clearly be too dangerous.