RE: Chronic Low-Level Radiation Exposure Causes Chromosomal Aberr ations

>The thing that caught my attention most was the size, or lack of, in the

>sample. Eight people w/ eight controls?

---

They probably counted many thousands of cells. Here is the abstract from

Medline:

"Evaluation of chromosomal aberrations, micronuclei, and sister chromatid

exchanges in hospital workers chronically exposed to ionizing radiation.

Cardoso RS, Takahashi-Hyodo S, Peitl P Jr, Ghilardi-Neto T, Sakamoto-Hojo

ET.

Departamento de Genetica, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto,

Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil.

Cytogenetic analysis was performed in peripheral blood lymphocytes from

hospital workers chronically exposed to ionizing radiation in comparison to

matched non-exposed individuals. The accumulated absorbed doses calculated

for the radiation workers ranged from 9.5 to 209.4 mSv. The endpoints used

were chromosomal aberrations (CA), micronuclei (MN), and sister chromatid

exchanges (SCE). The frequencies of CA/100 cells observed for the exposed

group were significantly (P=0.018) higher than in the control group: 3.2 and

2.6, respectively. Similarly, the mean numbers of SCE per cell were

statistically higher (P=0.025) in the exposed group (6.2) in comparison with

the control group (5.8). In the case of micronuclei analysis, no significant

(P=0,06) difference between both groups was found, but these data should be

cautiously interpreted since an increase in the frequencies of MN was found

for radiation workers (3.0 MN/100 cells), compared to the control group (2.6

MN/100 cells) and this increase occur in parallel to CA and SCE frequencies.

The difference between the results could be explained by the nature of CA

and MN generation. The increased frequencies of CA and SCE in radiation

workers indicate the cumulative effect of low-level chronic exposure to

ionizing radiation, and the relevance of conducting cytogenetic analysis in

parallel to physical dosimetry in the working place. Teratogenesis Carcinog.

Mutagen. 21:431-439, 2001. Copyright 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc."

OK - just my personal comment,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/