RE: Shipyard workers and references

The reason that the Nuclear Shipyard Study was undertaken was in response to

the earlier, partial and poorly run studies you cited.  A great splash was

made in the Boston papers about cancer among the shipyard workers.  So the

Atomic Energy Commission and the Navy determined to do it right.  It was

assigned to the Epidemiology School at Johns Hopkins, Upton was put in

charge of the Technical Advisory Panel with other top experts in the field,

and they met periodically throughout the long period of the study, to make

it the best possible study of this large and carefully monitored population.

And it was.  The only problem was that it did not give the expected (LNT)

answer.  So they tried to bury it.

We asked for a report of the work and were told that there would be no final

report--that the contract did not call for a report and they had no more

money.  After a big protest was made, it was published as an internal DOE

report, but never actually submitted to any mainstream or peer-reviewed

journal.

When NCRP, at its national public meeting (in 1996, I believe) had a paper

by Ethel Gilbert of DOE on "Nuclear Workers Study" no mention was made of

this study.  When I publicly asked her why, she said she had been unable to

get a copy of this DOE report.

Ted Rockwell