Re: Political correctness

This note is from the rad-sci-l list.

Regards, Jim

===========

Jerry Cuttler wrote:

I came across an interesting interview in the Dec 24th issue of TIME with

Bill Maher that I think is relevant to this discussion. TIME Q:  What's

wrong with being politically correct? Maher A:  In a sense, we are all

victims of the most successful society ever.  Society has become effete and

soft as a result.  Therefore sensitivity -- feelings, not wanting to

experience any kind of pain -- has become inflated.  I have always defined

political correctness as the elevation of sensitivity over truth.

-----------------

Are we too sensitive to offending the ICRP (and the many nuclear regulatory

organizations and the other LNT stakeholders and the anti-nuclear

organizations) to denounce the LNT hypothesis? The French Academy of

Medicine denounces the utilization of the linear no-threshold (LNT) relation

to estimate the effect of doses lower than a few mSv (equivalent to

variations of natural radiation in France) and of doses hundreds of times

lower, such those caused by radioactive waste, or 20 times lower, such as

those resulting in France from radioactive fallout from the Chernobyl

accident. All scientific organizations should, at least, follow the lead of

the Academy of Medicine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Howard Long, MD, wrote:

Yes,

Truth over sensitivity requires that we accuse anti-nucs and ALARA

regulators of depriving the public of an "essential trace energy",

electromagnetic wave deficiency. The disease could be labeled "emdef"

because of the multitude of ill effects: slower wound healing,

susceptibility to cancer, overgrowth of endothelium in stents, etc.

Who would so restrict sunlight, causing rickets and pallor, because too much

sun can cause cancer?

Public health requires a program like iodizing salt or fortifying bread with

iron, thiamine and folic acid and fortifying milk with vitamin D and A,

(also poisonous in excess).

A bed package like Cameron's or mattress springs fortified with Co60 would

enhance public health.

Truth before political correctness!

Howard Long, MD