-----Original Message-----

From: Dan.Miron@med.va.gov [mailto:Dan.Miron@med.va.gov]

A friend sent this to me.  I thought that the group might like to read it.

Dan

Who's afraid of a dirty bomb?

© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

As terror tension escalates, are we just scaring ourselves to death, again?

First we feared percussive plastics, then bio-fear and bugs and now comes

the fear of nuclear weapons in the hands of fanatics. More recently, the

media has been spreading stories about dirty radioactive bombs. Is this

concept even dangerous, or just another dumb dumb-bomb idea?

As radiological physicians (radiologists) we did diagnostic radiological

work for decades. We're worried that the term "radiological bomb" sometimes

used to describe these devices might catch on and demean our entire

profession. "Dirty bomb" is better but "dirty radioactive bomb" is a better

and more accurate description.

But first, we are not discussing nuclear fission or thermonuclear fusion

devices (aka atomic and hydrogen bombs) which release vast amounts of energy

from reactions in atomic nuclei - these are indeed weapons of mass

destruction. Even so, the effect of even these is limited to the immediate

area impacted - for example, a city such as Washington, D.C., and areas

downwind receiving fallout.

We are talking about the latest idea of using a chemical explosive to

disperse intensely radioactive material. The dirty radioactive bomb idea is

to set-off high explosives wrapped with highly radioactive stuff on the

outside, like a vest, so that the explosion disperses the radioactivity.

Such a device could indeed be a weapon of "mass disruption" - unless we get

a grip on the realities of radiation and the limitations of such a device.

The media and the public should not immediately panic because some papers

blowing in the wind in Afghanistan had crude sketches of crude ideas written

on them, including printouts of Internet web sites satirizing the "How to

Build a Nuclear Bomb for Fun and Profit" idea.

To meet this "threat," we need to corral some of our irrationally exuberant

fears about radiation. Too much ionizing radiation can indeed kill you, just

as too much aspirin can kill you. And, like aspirin, low doses of

radioactivity can enhance human health. Remember, human beings have always

lived in a world pervaded by low levels of ionizing radiation. And once

radioactivity (like aspirin) is diluted enough, it has no effect.

And remember, terrorists have problems too. For example, building and

handling such dirty radioactive bombs is a risky venture for the wannabe

terrorists who might get fried by radiation before they deliver their

payload.

In an interview with us, John Toman, former Nuclear Test Group director at

the Nevada Test Site for testing nuclear devices, said the radioactive

material itself, if intense enough, might generate enough heat to cause the

chemical explosives to ignite prematurely, truncating both the mission and

the terrorists' lives. According to Toman, adequate shielding around an

intensely radioactive device could cause it to be the size and weight of the

15,000 pound "daisy cutter" bomb used in Afghanistan. This could not be

packed in a suitcase and, lacking your own personal B-52, would be difficult

to deliver.

In a telephone interview, James Muckerheide, president of Radiation, Science

and Health, Inc. <http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/> , and Massachusetts state

nuclear engineer compares the dirty radioactive bomb concept with the

results of the very wide dispersal of a huge amount of radioactivity from

the disastrous accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power reactor in the former

Soviet Union. That reactor failed because it did not have many of the

safeguards routinely included in nuclear power reactors outside communist

countries. The Chernobyl accident released thousands of times more

radioactivity than any conceivable dirty radioactive bomb.

Last June, the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic

Radiation reviewed the Chernobyl accident

<http://www.unscear.org/chernobyl.htm>  at a conference in Kiev, Ukraine.

According to Muckerheide, the UNSCEAR report found that "not a single member

of the public was killed by the Chernobyl accident" despite the dispersal of

a much larger amount of radioactivity than is conceivable from a dirty

radioactive bomb. Of three cases of fatal thyroid cancer, two afflicted

people received so little radiation that scientists concluded that Chernobyl

radiation was not a factor, and a third person died because of inadequate

treatment.

Muckerheide notes: "It's a whole lot easier to kill people with shrapnel

from a high explosive than it is to kill people with radioactivity dispersed

by a high explosive device." Any radioactivity scattered by a dirty

radioactive bomb could be readily and safely cleaned up with

well-established techniques.

Most all of these doomsday scenarios are science fiction, as are the

fictitious scares released by people seeking attention and power.

And whatever you do, please don't call the dirty radioactive bomb a

"radiological" bomb. That would hurt the feelings of a lot of people -

including us and 20,000 other radiological physicians!

Michael Arnold Glueck, M.D., of Newport Beach, Calif., writes extensively on

medical, legal, disability and mental health reform. Robert J. Cihak, M.D.,

of Aberdeen, Wash., is the immediate past president of the Association of

American Physicians and Surgeons. Both doctors are Harvard trained

diagnostic radiologists. Collaborating as The Medicine Men, they write a

weekly column for WorldNetDaily as well as numerous articles and editorials

for newspapers, newsletters, magazines and journals nationally and

internationally.