Quiz: HP, regulations & time (Re: Prefer a Technical Track for the)

You wrote:

These

are applied sciences, and some of the application

is frankly political.  For

example, if we did not have the Clean Air Act of

1970, we would not have

research into air pollution or engineering of air

pollution controls.  Of we

did not have the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, we

probably wouldn't have health

physics!

Ruth,

1.1 I am glad that you have reminded to us these

facts.

1.2 It seems sometimes, that Health Physicis

there was first and Radiation with the Protection

came later.

2.1 Facts:

2.2 It took an act of congress to create an HP.

Question:

3. Whose act will it take to stop an HP? :-)

4.1 More seriously,

4.2 Things are always changing and the change is

GOOD.

5.1 So, Keeping prospective,

5.2 If there was a beginning then there should be

an end.

Logical?

Let's speculate about an HP future little bit.

Here is a question for the next quiz:

Question:

Under which of the following conditions there

will be NO HP?

a. When, NRC will become DOE.

b. When, DOE will become NRC

c. When, there will be NO Radiation.

d. When, it will be proven that low doses of the

Ionized Radiation are Healthy and the Title HP

(Health Physicist) will be changed to HPT (Health

Physics Therapist)

e. When, there is NO meter (radiation detection

instrument).

f. When, there is no phone to call an HP.

g. Never, because it takes an act of the US

Congress to create a profession but it will take

an act of God to have job done = PROTECT Health

WITHOUT Creating and Exploiting FEARS

(radiophobias).

i. All of the above.

Good Luck and Happy Whatever You Do or Planning

to Do!

Emil.

P.S.

The quiz is free and only for the HP

entertainment purposes, any similarities with the

real persons and events are purely coincidental,

The quiz can not be reproduced without author's

written permission.

From: RuthWeiner@AOL.COM

not to):

1.  Health physics, risk assessment, and

environmental assessment were all ,

it seems to me, born in a political (or at least

politicized) context.  These

are applied sciences, and some of the application

is frankly political.  For

example, if we did not have the Clean Air Act of

1970, we would not have

research into air pollution or engineering of air

pollution controls.  Of we

did not have the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, we

probably wouldn't have health

physics!

2.  A number of apparently political questions

have technical responses, and

vice versa.  Is the controversy over the LNT

technical, political, or both?

I have often responded technically to overtly

political statements about

pollution from coal plants.

3.  I get annoyed by some of the anti-nuke

nonsense, and I would wish for an

end to pointless name-calling.  However, I really

enjoy the free-flowing

discussions on RADSAFE, which I find a relaxing

break from the technical

analyses I do day in and day out..  If I don't

have time, I just delete.

So I prefer to have RADSAFE stay just as it is.

Here is a truly off-topic aphorism for your

reading pleasure: just remember

that everything Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers

did backwards and in high

heels.

Happy New Year!

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.