Re: Genders: different sentivities to radiation

In a message dated 1/4/02 12:32:03 AM Mountain Standard Time, LassePer@AOL.COM writes:

I am looking for good references to be used for a research project on ethical issues in radiation protection. If possible an overview article.

WHAT "ethical issues in radiation protection?"  Excuse me, this sounds like baloney.  In fact, like "environmental justice" and "intergenerational equity" baloney.  Protection is provided where it is necessary -- in the workplace and where people are actually exposed.  Are you setting out with some preconceived notion that women are less protected than men?  I know of no exposure (including dental x-ray) where women are not asked if they are pregnant and where the torso and blood-forming organs are not protected, in both men and women.  Moreover, this sounds suspiciously like the discrmination that used to be practiced against women on the theory that they were weak, needed to be able to lie down, were incapacitated by menstruation and pregnancy, and so on.

Who funds this kind of pseudo-science?  Aren't there better ways to spend money?

excuse the rant, folks.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com