RE: Petitions made to NRC to take actions

John,

1. I understand your concerns about what to keep

from the public and what to have openly

available.

There could be different views ranging from

"everything should be available" to "everything

should be closed and classified".

1.1 It is possible to call some of the actions as

over reaction or defensive reflex during the

unknown threat and it is UNDERSTANDABLE. It is

NORMAL reaction. A lack of any reaction would be

an ABNORMAL ingnorance.

2. I agree with you when there are possiblities

for disingenuem opportunism and abuses of the

really sad situation and limiting legitimate

access is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

3. In the mentioning case, in my opinion, it was

NATURAL to restrict access for a reasonable

period of time, to re-evaluate the contents.

3.1 For example, information about the exact

locations of the plants, vulnerability of the

certain plant systems should be yield.

Locations never should widely be available, at

the first time.

Why would someone need to know the exact

geographic location?

To drop a resume? Or to have a scenic drive-by

tour? Or to put a picket line to cause a

dangerous situation during transport operations?

3.2 Systems safety is an engineering issue and

NORMALLY(???) it should be resolved by the

engineering staff. In Norm's (SF) case the cause

was just and the SF problem got out of hands long

time ago.

4. But again there will be extremely wide range

of opinions.

4.1 Others may say, that industry always was NOT

trust worthy and still needs outside public

controllers for that, there information should be

available.

5. Conclusion.

I can accept view #4.1, however, I can NOT accept

UNPLUG/OUR/THEIR/HOMES/from/this/that/plant/CLOSE

THIS/THAT/PLANT/outside/controllers.

Radicalism is dangerous on both ends of the

spectrum.

Emil.

--- "Jacobus, John (OD/ORS)"

<jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov> wrote:

> Emil,

> One must be careful about what information is

> being kept from the public.

> Remember, the NRC had a wealth of information

> about nuclear power plants

> that was available to the public and

> terrorists.  Yet, it was only removed

> after the World Trade Center attacks.  I guess

> it was only a security issue

> after September 11.

> -- John

> John Jacobus, MS