residual confounding

Dr. Cohen,

I think it is important to determine the the source of the strong

inverse association between radon and smoking.  Many feel that this

inverse relationship is what is driving your findings.  There is

residual confounding of your smoking data that can not be corrected

because of the cross-level bias inherent in the aggregate form of the

data.  The residual confounding goes along with the other inverse

relationships seen if you use your data for other cancers.  But, the

inverse relationship is less for other cancers because the smoking

effect is a smaller risk factor in those cancers.

That is not for me to say. Correlations of various kinds appear in

all data. I have considered over 500 potential confounding factors and

essentially all of them have some correlation with radon. The

important

question is how strong these correlations are. Studying them serves

as the

basis for my method of using "plausibility of correlation" to evaluate

confounding effects. For example, if all 500 have correlations less

than

0.5, it is highly implausible for other untested factors to have

correlations as high as 0.9. You can read about this in my paper on

"Treatment of confounding factors in an Ecological Study" which is

posted

on my web site. The correlation between smoking and radon is not

outside

of the distribution I find for other potential confounding factors,

and is

thus not implausible.

Sent by Law  Mail