From: Phil Hypes [mailto:laradcon@hotmail.com]

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 10:07 AM

To: Jack_Earley@rl.gov; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Sr-90 RTG power

Jack,

One of my colleagues in the calorimetry section of my group at LANL

calculated a maximum power of 2.3 Watts/gram for Sr90 in equilibrium with

it's daughters.  That figure was based on maximum Q values, so I divided by

3 for a rough average value.  That gives a specific power of about 0.77

Watts/gram.  The specific power of Sr90 is 141 Ci/g (from the 1970 RHH, the

only copy I have at hand), so the power per unit activity should be 0.00546

Watts/Ci.  A 40,000 Ci source would therefore produce about 220 Watts of

power.  That's a lot of power; it's enough to make me ask if anyone can find

any errors in what I've done above.

Phil Hypes