Re: Cases and Controls

Dear Tom and LDR followers,

Thank you for the suggested mechanism that the alpha radiation in smoke is its carcinogen. I had assummed it was only the chemically carcinogenic

tars.

I do not understand how radon in non-smokers homes would be increased by excluding smokers from the study

Controls as identical to cases as possible is so essential to validity, it is the very reason for double-blind, "gold standard" experiments with

placebo!

"Adjusting" statistically, as by extending a trend beyond the data points, is what created the LNT mess in the first place!

We need an experiment, with true controls (randomized to placebo, double blind) like Cameron's package under mattress proposal.

Howard Long