Re: Cohen's erroneous statements

1.  There are numerous references concerning the glass-based detectors, for

example see:

Mahaffey JA, Parkhurst MA, Hui TE, Brownson RC, Alavanja MC., Factors

affecting use of CR-39 surface monitor technology to estimate past exposure

to indoor radon.  J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol. 6(4):425-37, 1996.

Field, R.W.. A Review of Residential Radon Case-Control Epidemiologic

Studies Performed in the United States. Reviews on Environmental Health.

16(3): 151-167, 2001

Field, R.W., Lynch, C.F, Steck, D.J.. Response to Alavanja et al. RE: The

Iowa Radon Lung Cancer Study

http://www.aje.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/full/152/9/895). American Journal

of Epidemiology. 151(11): 895-896, 01 Nov 2000

Field RW, Steck DJ, Parkhurst MA, Mahaffey JA, Alavanja MC. Intercomparison

of retrospective radon detectors. Environmental Health Perspectives.

107(11): 905-10, Nov 1999

Steck, D.J., Field, R.W.. The use of track registration detectors to

reconstruct contemporary and historical airborne radon (222Rn) and radon

PROGENY concentrations for a radon-lung cancer epidemiologic study.

Radiation Measurements. 31: 401-406, 1999

http://www.csbsju.edu/MNradon/retrospective_radon.htm

http://www.csbsju.edu/MNradon/radon_epidemiology.htm

http://www.csbsju.edu/MNradon/projects/researchprojects.html

2.  Many of the case-control studies coolected information on ETS.

The studies used pack years smoked by other people (other than the subject)

in the home and they also asked how many people in the home smoked over the

30 year period.  This information was used in the multivariate analyses if

the impact was stistically significant.

3. Field's Radsafe posting of March 9, 2000

Dr. Cohen,

As time permits, I would be very happy to work on a joint paper with you to

discuss how these factors are taken into account in a case-control studies

versus ecologic studies.  Let me know if you are interested. The paper below

touches on how these questions are addressed in a case-control study.

Field, R.W., Steck, D.J., Lynch, C.F., Brus, C.P., Neuberger, J.S., Kross,

B.C., Residential Radon-222 Exposure and Lung Cancer: Exposure Assessment

Methodology.  Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology,

6(2): 181-195, 1996.

Cohen  subsequently indicated he was not interested.

I would find a paper on this helpful especially since you keep comparing

your ecologic studies to the case-control studies.  In the arhives you said

you can not use an ecologic study to assess the risk posed by radon

exposure.  It appears you have reversed your position.

Sincerely, Don Smith

http://www.hotmail.com