LNT

To Bill Lipton and others:

I, too, am of the opinion that the LNT debate is probably the most important debate in health physics (and possibly in environmental health) today.  We not only base all our regulations on this, we spend zillions predicting completely hypothetical "latent cancer fatalities" (which should really read "latent fatal cancers")  and are even applying this totally speculative hypothesis to substances that have a well-extablished threshold of effect.  I would like to propose an amendment to NEPA that requires assessment of DETECTABLE impact on the environment.  Detecting even 50% of background is tough. 15 mrem/year is probably undetectable.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com