Re: Yucca Mountain timeline

Ruth,

A further clarification ... which I am sure you are aware of ...

Don't forget the old Federal Radiation Council.   This organization's

responsibilities were assigned to the EPA when it was established in 1970.

This passed to the EPA responsibility for establishing baseline radiation

protection standards that the NRC and DOE most comply with.

The most tangible example of this is the EPAs continuing the publication of

the Federal Guidance Report series ... No. 13 being the most recent.   I am

sure most everyone on the list is familiar with these reports.   This makes

the EPA's role broader than air emissions.

Future legislation built upon this broad responsibility of the EPA ... as you

previously listed.   This transition obviously predates, and is independent

of, the division of the AEC in ERDA and the NRC ... which you stated.

Tony DeAngelo