ICRP 2 standard (was Re: LNT)

For illiterates such as myself, is anyone willing to convert the figure of 0.1

uCi

(presumably Ra-226) to mSv/y?  I threw some numbers together and came up

with a figure of 70 mSv/y, not too dissimilar to the current annual occupational

dose

limits (50 mSv/y USA, 100mSv/5y - 20 mSv/y ICRP) but then I'm just a kid playing

with matches so to speak.  I expected from Bill's tone that the figure would be

higher, though I guess he may have been referring more to the EPA 0.15 mSv/y

and NRC 0.25 mSv/y clean-up standards

Peter Thomas

PRMS

Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency

peter.thomas@health.gov.au

If I remember correctly, the only radiation protection standard based on

human data was for radium and other bone seekers.  A cohort of dial

painters was followed, and it was found that no individual with a body

burden of less than 1 uCi  suffered any ill effects from the uptake.

Throw in a safety factor of 10, and the ICRP 2 standard was 0.1 uCi.

This was then expanded to other bone seekers, based on energy, QF, and

distribution factors.  This was a sensible standard that held until ICRP

30 and the new 10 CFR20.  Where did we go wrong?

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com