RE: Objectivity

Dr. Cohen,

I thought such publications already existed?  For example:

Brian J. Smith, R. William Field, and Charles F. Lynch

Title: Residential 222Rn Exposure and Lung Cancer: Testing the Linear

No-Threshold Theory with Ecologic Data

Health Physics, 75(1):11-17; 1998

Abstract: In most rigorous epidemiologic studies, such as casecontrol and

cohort studies, the basic unit of analysis is the individual. Each

individual is classified in terms of exposure and disease status. However,

in ecologic epidemiologic studies, the unit of analysis is some aggregate

group of individuals. Summary measures of exposure and disease frequency are

obtained for each aggregate, and the analyses focus on determining whether

or not the aggregates with high levels of exposure also display high disease

rates. The ecologic study design has major limitations, including ecologic

confounding and cross level bias. Cohen has attempted to circumvent these

limitations by invoking the linear no-threshold theory of radiation

carcinogenesis to derive aggregate "exposures" from individual-level

associations. He asserts that, "while an ecologic study cannot determine

whether radon causes lung cancer, it can test the validity of a linear-no

threshold relationship between them." Cohen compares his testing of the

linear no-threshold relationship between radon exposure and lung cancer to

the practice of estimating the number of deaths from the person-rem

collective dose, dividing the person-rem by the number of individuals in the

population to derive the individual average dose, and then determining

individual average risk by dividing the number of deaths by the number of

individuals in the population. We show that Cohen's erroneous assumptions

concerning occupancy rates and smoking effects result in the use of the

wrong model to test the linear no-threshold theory. Because of these

assumptions, the ecologic confounding and cross level bias associated with

Cohen's model invalidate his findings. Furthermore, when more recent Iowa

county lung cancer incidence rates are regressed on Cohen's mean radon

levels, the reported large negative associations between radon exposure and

lung cancer are no longer obtained.

Again, Jim we know how you feel, so please do not download a bunch of

abstracts.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist