Re: Cohen's latest reward

Don,

"inter county variability" in itself can never be a reason for anything, not

just Cohen's data. There has to be a systematic reason (mechanism) why inter

county variability would produce such a strong correlation. If there is

random inter county variability, it would bias the results toward the null.

If you have a graph of x vs. y which shows a statistically significant

structure, your explanation of the graph must, in some way, involve both x

and y. Otherwise it is not an explanation of the graph. This holds for all

sciences. Epidemiology is not exempt from the basic laws of logic.

Kai Kaletsch

P.S.: You can probably control the inter county variability (by stratifying

the data) better than you can control the inter person variability (by

choosing the right controls) in case control studies. Would you not be more

concerned about "intra" county variability? As long as you leave the data at

the county level, there is no ecological fallacy. You could consider each

county to be an organism [my version of the Gaia theory :) ]. You would

still be left with the question: What are the counties with high radon doing

right and what are the counties with low radon doing wrong?