Re: Cohen's latest reward

Don,

Your reference below deals with problems that arise when you try to take an

observation at the county level and make inferences about risk at an

individual level. The question still remains: What are the COUNTIES with

high radon doing right, to make them have low lung cancer mortality?

At the COUNTY level (considering counties, not individuals), Dr. Cohen's

data presents a cohort study with much better data than any of the miner

studies ever had. (One measurement per mine every few years or so and then

drawing 50% error bars - give me a break!)

An insurance company would be justified in offering lower life insurance

premiums to people living in counties with high radon, based on Dr.Cohen's

(or the EPA's) data. This has nothing to with whether one agrees with Dr.

Cohen's conclusion that the data is proof that LNT fails.

Kai