It's never too late

Despite our frustration with the difficulty in changing public opinion, I

think it's well worth the effort to try.

The main thrust of our efforts should be to maintain our credibility.  When

we continue to be a ready source of reliable information as new issues

arise (e.g., vulnerability of NPPs against terrorist attack, use of

radioactive materials in terrorist weapons, etc.), I think we will find

media attitudes changing from what they have been.  (PersonalIy, I don't

care if the change is slow as long as it happens. And besides, it's fun to

watch the media, when external events force them to, scramble to find

actual experts when all they have used in the past are 'anti' groups.)

We should NOT be afraid to point out that WE - radiation protection

professionals - are the front line for worker, public, and environmental

safety, not the critics and so-called 'watchdog' organizations.

We should point out some bottom-line realities - how a lack of reliable

energy for the future presents a far greater risk to the safety and health

of the human race than does buried radioactive material; how the silly idea

of putting anti-aircraft missiles at NPPs would take away real (and

significant) resources better spent in other areas, which, in turn, would

have a REAL (not hypothetical) impact in lives lost in future attacks.

We will never convince the 'anti' groups as a whole, since they act out of

beliefs which they have determined to be politically correct rather than

facts, the scientific method, etc.  So don't worry about it.  While many

individuals in these groups are sincere (but uninformed and programmed to

distrust 100% of anything WE say), some of the main 'movers' in these

organizations are just plain dishonest, to a degree that puts government

'coverups' to shame, with no fiction or distortion too extreme to promote.

As a whole, the groups will never renounce their stated principles, but we

will see the influence and membership of these groups decline as people are

forced to deal with facts rather than fads.

Finally, we do NOT help ourselves if we let our discussions in areas where

there are differing opinions (e.g., LNT) degrade to school-yard insults.

This does nothing but discredit us.

Vincent King, CHP

Idaho Falls